Key fobs make getting into and out of your car incredibly convenient. Plus, most modern key fobs also have exciting features like remote start and alarms for security. Just like a traditional key, your key fob is unique to your car. That means new key fobs will have to be programmed by a professional locksmith. The average price for programming a key fob is $50-$100, although some fobs are much more than that.
Let’s take a look at the most critical factors determining how much it costs to program your car’s key fob.
Type of Key Fob
There are a handful of different types of key fobs on the market, and each one has its unique properties from a locksmithing perspective. Some fobs are more complex and require specialized equipment, which will ultimately affect the price.
Here are the most common key fobs our smiths work with:
- Primary key: The simplest of key fobs, this device can lock and unlock your car, plus trigger a security alarm.
- Transponder key: A transponder key contains a microchip that must be present for the car to start. Depending on your vehicle’s make and model, your transponder may be integrated with the key itself or embedded in a separate fob. Programming a separate fob runs around $75, while a key-and-fob combo is $150 or more.
- Laser-cut key: Cut by a complex machine, laser cut tickets are thicker and more secure than essential keys thanks to an embedded transponder. Replacing and reprogramming a laser-cut key will run anywhere from $150-$250.
- Switchblade key: Just like the name implies, this key folds up into the fob when not in use. Over time, the hinge wears down, and the whole fob will need to be replaced. This costs $200-$300.
- Smart key: This type of key is also known as a keyless entry remote. As the most technologically advanced key fob system, it even the price type of car key replacement. Programming a smart key will run anywhere from $220-$500 per fob.
The type of key fob you have isn’t the only factor that impacts price. Additional factors include your car model and the length of time it takes the smith to program the fob.
Time to Program a Key Fob
Most smiths charge an hourly rate for their work, which directly impacts the price of the project. On average, a smith charges $50/hour plus service fees and supplies. Keys with complex wiring or advanced features like laser-cutting or keyless entry will take longer to complete than more straightforward jobs. In other words, you can expect lengthier assignments to charge a bit more. One additional factor that increases the price of car key replacement is emergency fees. If your situation is an emergency, like getting locked out of your car in the middle of the night or a lost key fob that you need replacing ASAP, then you may have to pay an additional emergency fee on top of the standard rates. Remember to program our number, (904) 257-8353, in case of emergency.
Ready to Have Your Key Fob Fixed?
Now that you know all about the price of reprogramming a key fob, you’re ready to get started. The next step towards getting your new fob is to contact a trusted locksmith in Jacksonville, Florida. We hope you choose us! Our expert smiths are always at your service and happy to provide a free estimate for your key fob project. Just give us a call today at (904) 257-8353.